Saturday 1 March 2008

Profesora Joyce's bio



Joyce!


I am half French, half Italian, born in Barcelona (Catalunya, Spain). I met yoga in 1996 during University in Barcelona. Since then, I lived in Belgium, The Netherlands and Japan and never stopped practicing yoga. In Japan, I realised it was time to deeply jump into yoga and I followed a TTC at Sun and Moon in Meguro (Tokyo). The best thing of 2007 was that TTC. There, I dived deeper into all aspects of yoga. After that wonderful course, the moment to teach had come. From June to October 2007, I taught in Wako-shi, where I lived. For some magic coincidence, my yoga group caught the name "Tanuki yoga"(*). It is when I moved to Naka-meguro that I stopped the class in Wako-shi and Tanuki yoga moved to Veggie Paradise in Yoyogi-Uehara (Tokyo). However, due to the limited space of the studio on top of Veggie Paradise, Tanuki yoga moved to Beyoga Studio in Hiroo (Tokyo). In the mean time, I continue taking workshops and TTC's (Paul Grilley's and Sarah Powers' yin yoga or Jonas Westring's Thai-yoga, for example) to keep on learning and get inspired.

Teaching yoga is a wonderful way to give something positive to others as well as to one-self. One session is a whole exercise and one asana is a whole body and mind training. In my classes, I like to focus on a specific part of the body. I give wide explanations and really try to transmit the essence of yoga through all asanas, pranayama and meditation. I give a lot of importance into bringing awareness of the body (and mind) posture, the breathing, the challenge of going a bit further into asanas. In each class I like to introduce (at least) one new asana for which I did prepare the students in previous sessions. My style changes depending on the area of the body I focus on and on the mood of the class. Some classes are more dynamic and some others are more "spiritual", for example, when I focus on the head I use more visualisations during asanas and do longer meditation.

To me, yoga is alignment. Yoga guides you towards aligning yourself with yourself. With practice, your body, your mind, your wishes trustfully gain the connection with your inner self.

Namaste,

Joyce!


WHY "TANUKI YOGA" ?
(*) - While I was watching my train of thougts in hope to find the name for my yoga group, a wonderful creature captured the eyes of yogini Elena... "I saw a tanuki!!!" she screamed... and "TANUKI YOGA" was born!



No comments: